|Night Visiting Role|
- If mastermind is in the game, mafia meetings are anonymous.
- Mastermind wins if mafia plus him equal or outnumber other players and mastermind is still alive.
- Mafia still wins if mastermind is alive.
"There might be a mastermind among you..."
Playing as Mastermind
- Keep in mind: Despite the description, the mastermind is, in practice, a "'nilla maf," with the exception that the mastermind makes mafia meetings anonymous. MM counts as a mafia member for win conditions. Hence, with 3 villagers, 2 mafia, and 1 mastermind, Mafia/MM wins. this means that you are not in opposition to the mafia in any way.
- Intense discretion is required. Plan your votes precisely and choose your words carefully. You do not have any secondary abilities of your own, so you will probably not have a safe claim.
- You can be masoned, so keep that in mind if victory seems impossible.
- When mafia starts claiming, there are generally two ways of presenting yourself:
- Supply your name, but lie about your role. This makes sure that mafia doesn't accidentally kill you, but then the Mafia has to deal with you, which makes them less productive. You're also gonna get figured-out and fast.
- Out yourself honestly as the Mastermind, but don't give a name. What this means is that Mafia can get right to business and trust each other, so they will have a much better chance of winning. But make sure you win quickly and decisively, because as the number of innocents runs-down, the chance that the Mafia picks you to kill increases.
- The mafia meeting remains anonymous if the mastermind is dead.
- As of May 2011, Mastermind no longer has 2 votes in the mafia meeting.
- The Mastermind CAN self kill - http://www.epicmafia.com/game/675518
The mastermind role used to have a bug where they cannot win. Later this has been resolved to that they're mafia members as well. This bug has been fixed, now only they win when alive and mafia would've won.