|Night Visiting Role|
- The Lawyer can choose one of their mafia partners to save from potential Cop investigations. If a lawyered mafia member is investigated the same night, he will show up as innocent to the cop.
- The Lawyer is a visiting role and is able to visit mafia members.
- However, the Lawyer cannot use his ability on himself
Playing As the Lawyer
- Always Lawyer if there is a Cop in-game since it lowers the odds of one of your mafia members being caught as a guilty. If the Cop is dead, it is usually wise to stop lawyering (this can work against you if there is a Tracker or Watcher in the game but also provides an opportunity for the Lawyer to fake PR (though if caught, this can have drastic consequences, see below).
- Make sure your mafia partners know who you lawyered so they don't foolishly fall for a reaction test by the cop.
- Always lawyer the more important mafia role. For instance, given a choice between a Stalker and a Disguiser, it usually wise to lawyer the Stalker to keep him protected from guilties. However, depending on who is what role, you may decide to lawyer whoever is more likely to be investigated.
- In order of highest priority to lowest, in general: Yakuza, Driver, Stalker, Hooker, Interceptor, Witch, Spy, other mafia roles. Also, there is no reason to lawyer a Godfather who already shows up innocent. A Disguiser who already has disguised is also useless to lawyer because the Cop will recognize he is guised despite the innocent report.
- If one of your partners decided to CC cop, don't lawyer him! Instead, lawyer a different partner. A Cop won't investigate his counterclaim because he knows he is mafia already!
- Do not CC cop as the Lawyer, especially in any game with a mislynch or with a protective role alive! This is a common fallacy which comes up in competitive games, since players assume that it is best for the inevitably guilty lawyer to counterclaim the cop. This isn't true! Lawyer is the last role who should be CC'ing cop! The reason for this is in the case that you are lynched, the cop not only survives, but all innocents from there on out are instantly clear! This is bad!
Playing Against the Lawyer
- Never assume a Cop's innocent is clear, but they are clear of being the Lawyer so these reports can still help.
- For example, if out of three unclears and two of them came up innocent, the third must be the Lawyer (The Lawyer himself can never come up innocent).
- If a Tracker or Watcher was lucky enough to catch a Lawyer in a night visit, you might actually know TWO mafia! If tracked, the Lawyer will visit the night kill and a mafia member (if he killed and lawyered someone) whereas whoever the Watcher watched (if he was not the night kill) is also mafia!
- Originally the Lawyer was the only mafia-sided role with the ability to use his power on himself. This ability has since been taken away.
If lawyer is the only mafia left in a must act game, he/she will not be able to choose anyone in the lawyer meeting, and will have to turn into a vegetable or suicide.