|Night Visiting Role|
- Every night, can protect one person from being killed.
- The protection is effective even if the Doctor is killed.
- This protection even extends if the one protected visits the granny, or if a mason mismasons (tries to convert a mafia member).
- This protection does not extend to cult members (old or newly converted) who die when their leader is killed.
- If a doctor is on an unhit Bulletproof, Bulletproof will remain unhit.
- In night meetings, the Doctor chooses.
- In night meetings, if there are more than 1 doctors, they have independent meetings.
Playing As Doctor
- Be careful about claiming, especially if a Hooker or Driver is around.
- Protect power roles. If no power roles are claimed yet, protect people that are cleared by power roles.
- If no one is cleared yet, it's usually correct to protect the most competent players. If you have to guess which players are the most competent, look at their score, trophies, and/or karma. You might want to be wary of doing this in situations where the good player could be scum and your decision to protect him could save his life.
- If a Doctor protects a Yakuza who sacrifices himself, the Yakuza lives and can convert again, while the original conversion still takes effect. For this reason, if there are one or more Yakuza still alive, you should usually choose to protect no one (unless of course you expect to be converted by the Yakuza).
- If any scum fakeclaim doctor, vigorously defend both yourself and your counterclaim from being lynched. For an in-depth explanation of why, read this.
- Advanced strategy: If the Mafia is certain that you'll protect someone, protect someone else instead. (Example: Cop claims in public and requests the doctor protect him. If the Mafia believe you will protect the Cop, they will not visit him. Therefore, protect a more likely Mafia target instead such as an already hit Bulletproof.) Be careful, as this is a WIFOM strategy and can blow up in your face if the Mafia sees through it.
- Do not Wifom when town is already in a good situation. You risk mafia killing a clear to ruin any advantage town might have.
- If the doctor dies, the person that they had saved will still be saved (their doc still goes through). This mainly applies in set-ups with Yakuzas.
Playing Against the Doctor
- Mafia can No Kill to make it appear like the doctor saved. This is risky since you risk "clearing" someone. However, if you think that doctor might be on you, you can take the risk and potentially get yourself "cleared".
- Originally the Doctor had the ability to save himself at night. This ability has since been removed, but some roles, like the Shrink or the Watcher, are able to self-visit. The idea of giving the Doctor the power to save himself once per game has been discussed, but as it stands a Doctor cannot be protected unless it is by another Doctor, or by a Bodyguard